Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Eagles: Among the best ever

Great weekend!

My wife Donna and I, along with our friends from St. Charles, Illinois -- Jim and Christy Jackson -- went to The Eagles Summer 2010 Tour concert at Soldier Field in Chicago -- www.eaglesband.com .

It was an amazing experience. Believe it or not, both Keith Urban and the Dixie Chicks opened for The Eagles. Needless to say the crowd of 60,000 was really rocking by the time The Eagles took the stage.

Keith Urban played for a solid hour, and so did the Dixe Chicks. The Eagles brought the house down with hit song after hit song after hit song....for two hours straight.

Of course the occasion had special meaning for Jim and me. Almost 11 years ago he and I drove The Mother Road, as author John Steinbeck named Route 66. He and I left Jackson Street at Lake Shore Drive in a brand new 1999 Chevy Corvette. That's where Route 66 started, and went west for more than 2,400 miles.

Old-timers in Northwest Indiana might remember he and I chronicled the trip daily with stories and photos in The Times as we drove the historic highway that transected our nation from East to West.

Anyway, one of the more famous Eagles songs -- Take It Easy -- takes place in Winslow, Arizona, pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

But for Winslow, it is a very big deal. In fact there is a corner park dedicated to The Eagles and Take It Easy.

Well, Jim and I wore our "...Standing on the corner in Winslow, AZ..." t-shirts. Tons of people at the concert asked where we got the shirts. "Winslow, Arizona, of course." If you're ever in Winslow, check the bricks in the park. One of them has our names Jackson-Asher, within spitting distance of Don Henley's brick.

I digress. The Eagles were phenomenal.  For guys who must be in their 60s, not a note was missed. These guys are without a doubt in the same class as The Beatles, or near the top of one of the best bands ever...yes, EVER!

Disagree? Too bad. You're wrong. Simple as that.

Last night will go down as the best nights of entertainment I've ever experienced. And I can now remove seeing and hearing The Eagles LIVE from my bucket list.

No comments: