Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My two cents: Academy gets it right

It's great to see the Oscar people got it right for a change.

The King's Speech deserves every one of its 12 nominations. The acting in the film is outstanding. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush were spectacular and I am pleased the Academy has nominated them for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor, respectively.

And, The King's Speech was also nominated -- along with nine others -- for Best Film.

As I prepare to submit my votes for the Screen Actors Guild awards (deadline is noon Friday) to be broadcast on TV Sunday evening, I am delighted that the Oscar nominations are more in line with my choices than in previous years -- especially last year.

Anyone who has followed my writings knows I blasted the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences last year for snubbing "Public Enemies" and almost more importantly, Johnny Depp.

Of course again they overlooked Depp, who without a doubt is the most talented actor never to win an Oscar. The Academy needs a wakeup call on that one.

Anyway, there's been a lot of buzz about another film The Social Network. No mistake, it's good. But frankly it cannot hold a candle to The King's Speech.

Other than this, no hints on how I'm voting in other categories. Besides, I still have work to do on my picks.

3 comments:

CN said...

Donald,

You are so fortunate to be able to now vote for the SAG. I'll bet all of that hard work filming "Public Enemies" was worth it! I'm sure being a TKS fan, you were pleased w/the outcome!

I absolutely love your story from the casting to premiere,& I wish you all the best. Kind of wish I had gotten your book as soon as it w/published, but I got to read most of your experiences online anyway.

I am an aspiring screenwriter,& my goal is to be a part of the WGA (Writer's Guild of America) someday. I have only *worked* on two films, once as as an extra & once on a short as a photographer,so those were great experiences. I do feel at home on a movie set.

Is there any video of you & the other reporters at the Chicago premiere? I see a lot of Johnny posted (nice) :)

PS: I agree w/you on Johnny deserving an Oscar. He is, IMO, one of the best actors of his generation.

DGA said...

Sorry, it doesn't work. If you give me your email, I will not publish. It comes directly to my email for approval. Thanks CN.

Don

CN said...

Sorry about that. Thought it w/work. Here it is:

cn_sw@yahoo.com

Can't wait to hear more!


Cheers!