Sunday, March 6, 2011

Waiting, dreaming

So, it's been a couple of weeks since I sent material to the casting folks of the TV series Criminal Minds. Haven't heard anything...yet.

That's not unusual. The entertainment industry works on its own schedule, and that's okay. Aspiring actors should never, ever set expectations --other than ones of rejection.

My philosophy is I try to start with rejection, and if something positive happens -- like a call from my agent -- then that's a small first step.

And I have realized that things happen when you least expect them...not just this business, but life in general.

Who would know that after 40+ as a journalist I would be entering my second year in the legal world?  And, with the best and most successful injury attorney and law firm in Indiana and Illinois -- Kenneth J. Allen. March 11 is my anniversary with Kenneth J. Allen & Associates.

And who would have guessed that a family from Poland, who landed in Valparaiso nearly 20 years ago, would drop in our world (my wife Donna and me) and become very loved -- and valued -- friends.

Donna is trying to learn Polish -- she's up to four or five key phrases and words.

Having been born and raised in Chicago, obviously I was exposed to Polish families and some of its culture. But honestly wasn't very close to anyone of that ethnicity ... until three years ago when our new friends entered the picture.

So all of us are working on somewhere warm to travel. We all love hot weather. Everything from Belize, Mexico, California, Hawaii are on the table.

But, if and when we win the lottery is has been decided we are all moving to Bora Bora. Houses on stilts with glass floors, flowers, sun, and more. That's our joint dream. Hopefully all our kids will come, too. We''ll come back and visit Valparaiso.

In the meantime, we just enjoy life while I wait for that call for an acting role, and the others do their thing.

No comments: